Unlike some risottos this recipe will leave you feeling both satisfied and light afterwards.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium brown onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
150g frozen spinach
1375-1500ml (roughly 5-6 cups) salt-reduced vegetable stock or broth
300g frozen peas
150g broccoli, grated
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup parmesan or 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast for a vegan option
3 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice such as dill or parsley, finely chopped to serve
Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic, cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After this, add arborio rice and cook a further 2-3 minutes, until rice is lightly golden, stirring frequently (it’s all about a good stir with risotto!)
- Add frozen spinach and 1 cup stock (or broth), stir and allow the rice to absorb most of the stock (or broth) before adding the next cup, repeat until about 1L of stock (or broth) is used, always stir frequently to stop the rice sticking to the base of the pot.
- Add peas, broccoli and lemon zest and about 300ml stock (or broth) (there is more in ingredient list in case you find yours evaporates too quickly and you need a little extra), stir and cook until the peas are defrosted and tender, if you need a touch more stock (or broth) to loosen it at this stage, then add.
- Then remove the dish from the heat, stir through parmesan (or nutritional yeast), season with sea salt and black pepper and serve with your choice of herbs and a crunchy green salad.
Want to add a bit of protein? Pair this dish with grilled fish or mix in grilled chicken pieces
FOLLOW US FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, WELLNESS TIPS AND ALL THINGS YOGA