Trying to avoid gluten but love rice? Try substituting rice for quinoa! Quinoa is a great alternative as well as being filled with some pretty amazing antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and is a great source of protein. Mix it with some freshly cut veggies, diced chicken and you’ve got yourself an all round healthy meal!
2 pieces skinless chicken breast, chopped into cubes
2 cups tricolour or white quinoa
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 zucchinis, sliced
2 carrots, sliced diagonally
1 cup peas
500g sliced mushrooms
- In a frypan, add coconut oil and cook onion and garlic until brown on medium heat. Add chicken breast cubes and cook until golden brown and season with salt & pepper.
- Add sliced carrots and zucchini and cook until soft, then add peas. Leave on low heat.
- Meanwhile, add quinoa to a large pot and pour 3 cups of water and cook on medium heat. Add a teaspoon of turmeric and juice of half a lemon.
- Cook quinoa for 15 minutes and drain water, or allow to stand for 10 minutes until the remaining water absorbs. Leave on low heat.
- Add chicken to quinoa pot and mix together. Add mushrooms until soft and top up with salt and pepper for taste.