“People who prioritise positivity in their lives have higher levels of well-being” – Professor Barbara Fredrickson, highly recognised American psychologist.
Living in a world where we are surrounded by distressing news, constant comparison on social media (thank you Instagram for the latest update of removing “likes”) and in most cases stressful work lives, it can be easy to fall down the pit of negativity. The truth is, when we get into that negative headspace (dependent on the situation), a lot of things can happen; we tend to become more stressed, energy levels take a nosedive, our physical well-being is compromised…. The list goes on.
Which brings us to the saying “positive mind = positive life”. Powerful stuff right? It’s such a simple saying that holds so much truth to it, if you think or do positive things then positive effects will start to happen. Have you ever heard of ‘the law of attraction’? The law of attraction “is the ability to attract into our lives whatever we are focusing on. It uses the power of the mind to translate whatever is in our thoughts and materialise them into reality.” You see, the universe is constantly running off the energies and vibrations we put out, the higher your vibration is, the better and more positive your life will be. Let’s ask you this, have you ever been in a negative headspace or look at situations negatively and things start to go wrong? That is the universe feeding off the energy you’re putting out.
You may not realise it, but every second of the day you are putting out a vibration which in turn, is what you are asking from the universe. If you think/speak/act negatively, negative things will most likely happen – does the good old saying “good vibes only” start to make sense now? The next time a negative thought enters your mind or your day doesn’t start off the right way, replace it with a positive thought or action and you’ll see, in a matter of time you will start to see the good throughout the day.
So how can you live a more positive life? We’ve narrowed it down to our top 10 favourite practices that are super easy to implement into your daily life.
1. Start off your day by being grateful. Whether it’s the friends in your life, your family, the food you eat, the roof over your head or the sun that’s shining, waking up and feeling grateful helps set a positive tone for the rest of your day.
2. Practice yoga and meditation. Practicing yoga and meditation teaches us to become more mindful, which is a key foundation to helping us deal with life’s daily struggles. Check out our wide range of classes, that are led by some of the most highly skilled instructors, who are ready to help you on your journey to becoming more mindful.
3. Get moving. It’s important to move the body and shake off any stagnant energy. Try walking or let loose and dance around the house.
4. Eat nourishing foods. When we fuel our bodies with wholesome foods, we are sharpening our focus, improving our sleep and increasing our energy levels.
*TIP* Eat the rainbow! Try and include more colourful fruits and vegetables, foods that are high in fibre and add fish to your diet.
5. Listen to music or an inspiring podcast. Listening to your favourite song or a podcast that promotes positive wellbeing, is the best way to uplift your mood and put you on the path to positivity. Here is one of our favourite tracks that is an instant mood booster and a list of great podcasts that are guaranteed to brighten your day.
6. Spend time in nature. Getting outdoors has been shown to boost positive thinking. So next time you are on your lunch break, go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air regardless of the weather. If you can’t make it outdoors, try adding indoor plants or images of greenery to your home or workspace.
7. Be kind. Performing a random act of kindness or giving back can help boost happiness and give us a sense of fulfilment.
8. Surround yourself with people who bring value to your life. It’s important to have people in your life who lift you higher and share the same values as you. Ever heard of the quote “your vibe attracts your tribe”? This means the more you project positive energy into the universe, the more likely you are going to attract positive people into your life.
9. Write down your thoughts. There’s something about writing down all of your stresses and worries on a piece of paper that can be quite therapeutic – would you agree? Journaling has been known to be a fantastic way to help find clarity in our goals and values.
10. LOL. As they say, “laughter is the best medicine”. When we laugh, we release endorphins (happy hormones) into the brain, which helps shift our focus from a negative headspace into a more peaceful and positive one.
*TIP* Watch your favourite TV show that will encourage laughter – F.R.I.E.N.D.S marathon anyone?
There you have it, a few key learnings and practices on how fostering a more positive mindset can help us achieve a happier and more fulfilled life, a life that we all deserve. It’s important to remember that although life will throw curveballs at us, the key is to take these challenges as opportunities to put positive thinking and actions into practice. Yes, it may take a while to get the hang of, but the more we put these practices into place, the better and happier our lives will be.